Forecast more >
Restaurant Report Card: Feb. 28, 2014
BEAUMONT - No cleaner in the dishwasher, roaches, and mold in the ice machine. Those were just a few of the problems inspectors found at Beaumont restaurants.We've got the highs and lows in this edition of the Restaurant Report Card.
We begin with Beaumont Oriental Food Market on South 11th Street. Inspector Scott found rice and beans soaking for more than two hours when they should be refrigerated. Personal items were found on the prep tables and drinks were stored in the ice machine which is a violation of good hygenic practices.
Water was not drained from the steam table. The cutting block was not wiped. Tables and floors were not clean. Knives were left in the hand sink, and many items were stored on the floor. Employees could not get to the hand sink because it was blocked. The inspector found live cockroaches, gnats and weevils in a bin of cornmeal. Beaumont Oriental Food Market gets a 75.
Now onto Chuck E Cheese on Dowlen Road. There was a salad container found in the hand sink. The drainboards were not clean, and employees were not washing vegetables before cutting them which could all lead to cross contamination.
Inspector Scott also noticed the presence of gnats in several areas. The cook was using degreaser instead of sanitizer in the wiping towels. There was no cleaner in the dishwasher and mold was found in the ice machine. Chuck E Cheese gets an 80.
Next inspectors visit Ginos Restaurant Pasta and Pizza on Dowlen Road. Dressings were being stored at improper temperature. Personal drinks were found in the food prep areas. There was a jacket on the food shelf. One employee was making salad with her bare hands and not wearing a hair restraint. The cook was wiping his/her hands on towel hanging from his/her apron -- all violations of good hygenic practices.
The outside storage area and some refrigerators were not clean, and one freezer was dripping water into food. There was a slight roof leak and damage ceiling tile. Some ceiling tiles were not clean, and lighting was poor in some areas. Mold was found in the ice machine. Gino's gets an 81.