LCSO Update: 8-year-old Liberty Co. boy accidentally shot himself in chest

LCSO Update: 8-year-old Liberty Co. boy accidentally shot himself in chest

UPDATE on shooting of 8-year-old boy in Liberty County - Press release below from the Liberty County Sheriff's Office:

After extensive follow-up investigation by Liberty County Sheriff lead Investigator Sgt. Darrell Elliott and interviewing family members, Sgt. Elliott said it was confirmed by an adult family member who saw what actually happened that young eight year old Abel Rincon reached for the .22 rifle and pulled it towards him causing the gun to fire striking him in the chest.

The fact the old rifle did not have a trigger guard may have contributed to the trigger being pulled.

Due to these findings, the case will be ruled as an accidental self-inflicted gunshot wound. No charges will be filed at this time but the case will be forwarded to a Liberty County Grand Jury for review. (END)

Initial press release below:

A little eight year old boy was shot in the chest at approximately 10:pm Saturday night while family members were shooting at tin cans at the family resident on CR 3560 near the Plum Grove area of north Liberty County. According to Sheriff’s lead Investigator, Sgt. Darrell Elliott, the father, 35 year old Aaron Rincon and his juvenile nephew along with Rincon’s eight year old son were using a very old .22 caliber semi-automatic rifle with no trigger guard to take turns shooting at tin cans near a wood pile.

From the initial investigation, Rincon told Sgt. Elliott that the rifle was being handled by someone and when he turned his back, he heard a gunshot and his son had been shot. Mr. Rincon put his son in his truck and was rushing him to the hospital when he came upon Sheriff’s Deputy Ben Garcia conducting a burglary investigation on CR 3550. Deputy Garcia called for an ambulance and Life Flight while rendering CPR to the small boy. The child was flown to Herman hospital in Houston where he was pronounced deceased.

Sgt. Elliott stressed that this investigation is still in the very early stages and due to a language barrier as well as the emotional state of the father and family members, the exact details of who was involved or how the shooting happened is yet to be determined in the follow-up investigation. At this time no charges have been filed and an autopsy has been ordered. (END)

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off