MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Orange man, 19, accused of shooting at narcotics investigators

Deontae Armstrong is charged with deadly conduct after officers say he fired shots at investigators in Orange. (Photo provided by the Orange County Sheriff's office)

Police have arrested a 19-year-old man accused of shooting at narcotics investigators earlier this week.

Deontae Armstrong, of Orange, faces a third degree felony deadly conduct charge in the June 12 shooting, which resulted in no injuries but damaged an officer's vehicle.

Two narcotics investigators were patrolling in the Bridal Wreath area in Roselawn around 9:25 p.m. when two males started shooting at them, according to a probable cause affidavit supporting Armstrong's arrest.

The investigator who was driving sped away from the shooters, who then chased the vehicle while still shooting, according to the affidavit.

One officer returned fire. No one was hit.

There was a bullet hole on the front bumper of the officer's vehicle. Another bullet was removed from a flat front tire, the affidavit states.

One witness told investigators that two males fitting the description crossed Dahlia at Bridal Wreath and one of them ran into a house on Camelia.

Thompson was later located at that house and offered some information about the shooting, the affidavit states.

He told them one of the weapons used that night, a .380 caliber handgun, was stolen and had been dumped into a nearby storm drain, according to the affidavit.

But when investigators took him to the storm drain to find the gun, they say he stopped cooperating.

A warrant to search his home was signed by a district judge and officers say they found the .380 they were looking for, along with a high capacity magazine. They also recovered a Sig-Saur .22 caliber rifle believed to be used in the shooting, the affidavit states.

An arrest warrant for Armstrong was issued Thursday with a $150,000 bond.

Trending