Crews battle house fire in Port Arthur

A house caught fire in the 900 block of New Orleans Avenue in Port Arthur on Thursday morning. (Photos by Angel San Juan/KFDM & Fox 4)

Port Arthur firefighters battling a house fire at 900 New Orleans Avenue at intersection of New Orleans and 1st Street.

Horace Hickman was sleeping inside, but woke up and managed to escape. He suffered burns to his arm and neck, but is expected to be okay.

Hickman says his space heater could have ignited the fire, or faulty electrical wiring may be to blame, because he says the house is old.

But firefighters say it's too early to determine a cause.

Hickman says the house belongs to his 92-year-old mom who was not home at the time.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off